Author: Ms. Janice Hamilton of the Boston Home Center
The Boston Home Center offers information on a range of programs and services available in the Boston area such as:
- Information and registration for homebuyer education classes and counseling provided in the City of Boston.
- Information on credit counseling and repair.
- Information on and referral to the various loan/grant programs offered to purchase or repair a home.
- Listings of various properties available for purchase through the City.
- Information on a variety of local lenders and their speciality mortgage programs.
- General education pamphlets on technical and financial issues surrounding the purchase or repair of a home.
The following is only a partial list of programs offered by the City to help homebuyers and homeowners in Boston:
Homebuyers 101 is a free, 5-session course that will teach you the in’s and out’s of the homebuying process. Graduates receive a Boston Home Certificate which eligible buyers can redeem for closing cost and/or down payment grants from the City of Boston!
Homeowner 201 is a free, 3-session course which will teach homeowners about landlord, property maintenance, and financial issues.
The Boston Soft Second Mortgage Program offers lower income buyers a discounted mortgage rate with no points, reduced closing costs and no mortgage insurance fees.
The Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency (MHFA) provides moderate income buyers a discounted mortgage rate for the purchase, or purchase and repair, of a home in Boston.
The Boston Mortgage Program offers all Boston homebuyers low downpayment mortgages for purchase, or purchase and repair, of a home in Boston:
- BostonMORTGAGE Single Family/Condo option: 97% loan with only 3% downpayment required buy the buyer.
- BostonMORTGAGE 2-family option: 95% loan with only 3% downpayment by the buyer.
- BostonMORTGAGE 3-family option: 90% loan with only 5% required from the buyer.
Register now for Spring classes which begin on April 18, 1998!
For further information, please call (617) 635-HOME (635-4663) or visit: Boston Home Center
26 Court Street
Boston, MA 02108