Tag Archives: education

Financial Assistance for Higher Educational Purposes for Persons of Albanian Origin

The following Albanian-American organizations offer either scholarships or
nancial assistance for higher educational purposes to persons of Albanian origin:

Chairperson, Scholarship Applications
AANO Scholarship Fund

Mr. Cafo Boga
Albanian-American Cultural Foundation
2 Dag Hammerskjold Plaza
New York, NY 10017-2289
Tel: (212) 207-9893

Dr. David Avdul, Chairman
VATRA Scholarship Fund
2437 Southern Boulevard
Bronx, NY 10458
Tel: (718) 365-6930
Fax: (718) 365-6852

English-Albanian and Albanian-English Dictionaries

For Albanian-Americans and others who need a little help in reading/writing the Albanian language, or for recent Albanian arrivals to the USA who need some assistance in understanding English, the Frosina Foundation is pleased to recommend several dictionaries that can be ordered from the publisher by any bookstore:

Catalog # 0-7818-0021-8
441 Pages
20,000 entries
9-1/2″ x 6-3/4″
Price: $14.95

Catalog # 0-87052-077-6
510 Pages
20,000 entries
5-1/4″ x 7-1/2″
Price: $14.95

Catalog # 0-7818-0419-1
400 Pages
18,000 entries
4-3/8″ x 7″
Price: $14.95

(Available June 1997)
Catalog # 0-7818-0510-4
1,000 Pages
60,000 entries
Price: $60

Or order directly from:
Hippocrene Books Publishers
171 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Tel. (212) 685-4371
Customer Service: (718) 454-2366

Student Visas in the USA

Author: US Immigration made easy

Albanians and others desiring to be educated in the USA can apply for two different types of student visas: “F1” and “M1”. Both visas are obtained in the same manner however, as shown below, the privileges and limitations of the two visas differ.

F1 Visa: for full-time academic and language students


  • You may come to the USA as a full-time academic or language student leading to a degree or certificate.
  • F1 visas can be issued quickly.
  • You may work legally in a part-time job if it is an on-campus position, or you may get special permission to work off-campus if it becomes an economic necessity. You may also get permission to work off campus in a job that’s considered practical training for your field of study. F1 students may also work for certain employers who can’t find American workers to fill the positions.
  • You may travel in and out of the USA or remain there until the completion of your studies, up to a maximum of eight years.
  • Visas are available for accompanying relatives.


  • You must first be accepted by an approved school in the USA before you can apply for an F1 visa*.
  • You must not work legally off campus without special permission.
  • You are restricted to attending only the specific school for which your visa is currently approved.
  • Accompanying relatives may stay in the USA with you, but they may not work.

M1 Visa: for vocational and other non-academic students


  • You may come to the USA as a full-time vocational or non-academic or language student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
  • You may transfer from one school to another.
  • You may work legally in a part-time job if it is an on-campus position. You may also get permission to work off campus in a job that’s considered practical training for your field of study.
  • You may travel in and out of the USA or remain there until the completion of your studies, up to a maximum of one year.
  • Visas are available for accompanying relatives.


  • You are restricted to attending the specific school for which your visa has been approved. You can transfer from one school to another only if you apply for and receive permission from INS to do so. Once you are six months into the program of studies, you are prohibited from transferring at all except under truly exceptional circumstances.
  • You are never permitted to change your course of study.
  • You must not work legally off campus without special permission.
  • You are restricted to attending only the specific school for which your visa is currently approved.
  • Accompanying relatives may stay in the USA with you, but they may not work.

Note: as a prospective student, you may come to the USA as a tourist for the purpose of locating a school you wish to attend. Once accepted by the school, you may then apply for your student status without leaving the USA.

Students and School Exclusion or Delay

Author: National Coalition of Advocates for Students

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in Plyler vs. Doe (457 U.S. 202 (1982)) that undocumented children and young adults have the same right to attend public primary and secondary schools as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Like other children, undocumented students are obliged under state law to attend school until they reach a mandated age. As a result of the Plyler ruling, public schools may not:

  • Deny admission to a student during initial enrollment or at any other time on the basis of undocumented status.
  • Treat a student differently to determine residency.
  • Engage in any practices to “chill” the right of access to school.
  • Require students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.
  • Make inquiries of students or parents that may expose their undocumented status.
  • Require social security .1numbers from all students, as this may expose undocumented status.

Students without social security numbers should be assigned a number generated by the school. Adults without social security numbers who are applying for a free lunch and/or breakfast program on behalf of a student need only indicate on the application that they do not have a social security number.

Recent changes in the F-1 (Student) Visa Program do not alter the Plyler obligations to undocumented children. These changes apply only to students who apply for a student visa from outside the U.S.

Finally, school personnel — especially building principals and those involved with student intake activities — should be aware that they have no legal obligation to enforce U.S. immigration laws.

To report incidents of school exclusion or delay, call:
National Coalition of Advocates for Students (NCAS) at 1-800-441-7192


Author: Institute of International Education

In response to many inquiries from all over the USA, Albania, and elsewhere, Frosina is pleased to make the following information available about funding sources for higher educational purposes in the USA for foreign nationals:

Funding for US Study: A Guide for International Students and Professionals is a comprehensive reference source on financial assistance available for foreign nationals to pursue educational objectives in the US. The book was compiled by the Institute of International Education, the largest US higher educational exchange agency. The Institute is a nonprofit organization with over 600 US college and university member organizations.

The book provides information on agencies that offer awards for foreign nationals to study, teach, carry out research or pursue other educational objectives in the US. Funding for US Study offers the most relevant data on over 600 fellowships, grants, travel grants, scholarships and paid internships geared to all levels of post-secondary education and research: undergraduate, graduate/postgraduate, postdoctoral and professional.

Funding for US Study is intended to be an informational resource on scholarships, grants and fellowships available from public and private sources in the US and abroad: governments, foundations, corporations, associations, research centers, libraries and other agencies.

Foreign nationals may apply directly to these grant and fellowship programs if they meet eligibility requirements. Typically, these grant programs do not require special nomination by home governments, institutions or international organizations. Programs of this type exist, but they are not the focus of this book, which is intended to identify grants and fellowships that are generally accessible to foreign nationals.

Copies of this important reference book, Funding for US StudyA Guide for International Students and Professionals, are available in larger public and academic libraries and, generally, in USIA/US Embassy offices overseas. To learn where to find access to the book if it is not at a convenient location in your area, or to make specific inquiries, contact:

Institute of International Education
809 United Nations PlazaNew York, NY 10017-3580Tel: (212) 883-8200Fax: (212) 984-5452WebSite: www.iie.org

Albanian Language Instruction

Author: Pimsleur International

Dr. Ludmilla Buxheli, an Albanian linguist recently engaged in linguistics research at Harvard University, was selected by Pimsleur International to write Speak & Read Essential Albanian I — the 20th self-instruction, foreign-language course in the world-renowned Pimsleur Series. The digital recording was produced at Harvard University.

Based upon Dr. Paul Pimsleur’s pioneering research and development work in self-instructional, spoken foreign-language communication skills training, this self-instruction, audiocassette course provides a cost-effective and efficient way for anyone to acquire the ability to understand and speak the Albanian language!

Already in great demand by Americans who want to develop business opportunities in a now-democratic Albania, this program solves the language communications problems for travelers who can now take full advantage of visiting previously restricted archeological and historic sites, non-Albanians married to Albanian spouses, 2nd and 3rd generation Albanian-Americans who want to brush up, or anyone who wants to acquire the Albanian language — the direct descendent of the ancient Illyrian language.

Speak & Read Essential Albanian I, like all Pimsleur courses, provides real-life conversations by two native Albanian speakers (male and female) of the language and an English-speaking tutor-on-the-tape to guide you through the training.

Financial-Aid Sources for Higher Education

Author: TIME Magazine

Frosina receives many inquiries from Albanians and others about college/university financial-aid policies and procedures. For more information about the process, check your local library where you will find compendiums of grants, loans and scholarships. Listed below are some websites and books you may find helpful:


  1. www.fastweb.com Fill out a personal profile, and FastWeb matches you up with scholarships from its database of hundreds of thousands of awards, updated daily.
  2. www.wiredscholar.com Lots of info about aid – including loans you can apply for on-line. Also a database listing sources for more than $1 billion in scholarship funds.
  3. www.finaid.com Loads of advice and free, searchable databases.
  4. www.ed.gov/prog_info/SFA/StudentGuide Posted by the U.S. Department of Education, the Student Guide provides information from the horse’s mouth about federal grants, loans and work-study.
  5. www.petersons.com/resources/finance.html The college- and career-guide publisher offers a free online cram course in financial aid.
  6. www.fafsa.ed.gov Do the paperwork without the paper. Fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
  7. www.collegeboard.org Save the cost of another stamp. If a school you’re applying to requires the College Scholarship Service’s Profile application for financial aid, you can file the forms online.
  8. www.collegecash.com Offers a useful list of WebSites that provide scholarships, financial aid, scholarship books, college information, job-hunt info, etc.


  1. Meeting College Costs College Board: $13.95. This unintimidating little guide is user-friendly, anecdotal and vastly informative.
  2. College Costs & Financial Aid Handbook College Board; $17.95. A primer on financial aid, with a list of colleges that offer scholarships for talents ranging from art to athletics.
  3. Complete College Financing Guide by Marguerite J. Dennis; Barron’s; $14.95. Practical and up-to-date with samples of forms you’ll soon become all too familiar with.
  4. Paying for College Without Going Broke by Kalman A. Chany; Princeton Review; $18. Financial aid is no laughing matter, but this guide offers a dose of humor along with serious advice for managing the costs of college.

Sources for the Evaluation of Diplomas from Foreign Universities to Determine USA Educational Equivalency

Author: Ms. Solveig Turner of the Center for Educational Documentation

Albanians newcomers to the USA who have received diplomas as graduates of universities or institutes of higher learning in Albania and other countries of Europe should have their diplomas evaluated to determine their equivalency to degrees offered by USA colleges and universities. This is important when seeking to continue with academic studies or for professional employment purposes.

Evaluation standards for reviewing foreign diplomas are those recommended by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials. In response to many inquiries, The Frosina Foundation is pleased to list the following organizations that are qualified to review foreign diplomas and to issue certification of their USA equivalency:

Center for Educational Documentation
Solveig M. Turner, Director
PO Box 236
Boston, MA 02130-0003
Voice: (617) 522-4738 / Fax: (617) 983-5232

World Education Services
Mariam Assefa, Executive Director
PO Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10011
Voice: (212) 966-6311 / Fax: (212) 966-6395

Educational Credentials Evaluators
James Frey, Executive Director
PO Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Voice: (414) 289-3400 / Fax: (414) 289-3411

Josef Silny & Associates
Josef Silny, President
PO Box 248233
Coral Gables, FL 33124
Voice: (305) 666-0233 / Fax: (305) 666-4133

Academic Credentials Evaluation
Jasmin Saidi, President
PO Box 6980
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Voice: (310) 275-3530 / Fax: (310) 275-3528

Foundation for Educational Services
Jack Hoover, President
200 West Mercer St., #503
Seattle, WA 98119-3950
Voice: (206) 298-0171 / Fax: (206) 298-0173

The Frosina Foundation thanks Ms. Solveig Turner of the Center for Educational Documentation for supplying the above information and Kim Beqari for providing the Thought of the Month Albanian translation.